Randal "Thel" Cox, PhD, MSG*
Randal is the longest active member of the Filking Wieners. (The longest Wiener. Hmmm...) Randal played D&D for years with his high school friends. Finally, in 1991, long past high school, Randal made it to GenCon with Steve and Eric.
Steve went once before where he managed to get to round 3 of a NASCRAG event. After everything he said about it, that was the first thing we registered for NASCRAG's Zef VI: Pawn's Game by James Robert and Robert Moore. We showed up and begged three random people to join us in a team that someone named Toe Jam. Needless to say, we never cleared the first round!
Randal has never missed a GenCon since then: that's 15 straight years and counting! He played for 9 years, desperately hoping to bag a first place finish in the NASCRAG event. After that success, he went over to the dark side and became a judge. Two years of that and his soul darkened even more: Randal, Mike, Mike, and Mary wrote three years of NASCRAG events! Lately, Randal has been laying low, grooming new judges for NASCRAG. Rumors abound, however, about a new NASCRAG series on the wind. Randal furiously denies all charges, "It was a frame up, I tell you!"
- Author and singer of many of the songs on FW albums.
- Fourth Place in Nexus I: The Rightful Heir (1993)
- Second Place in Nexus II: The Weather Stone (1994)
- Second Place in Nexus III: Death Takes a Holiday (1995)
- Second Place in Northern (L)attitudes (1997)
- Second Place in Catgut Willy and the Whirling Vortex of Doom (1998)
- First Place in Conspiracy 101: Theory and Practice (1999)
- Co-wrote Second: Chances (2002)
- Co-wrote Second: WAVE (2003)
- Cowrote Second: Time (2004)
- Co-authored Eris, a prospective new judge pictured at the right. (2004)
- Is NOT writing the NASCRAG 2008 event. "Dammit, liten to me: I'm NOT writing. No way!" He's not writing it with Mike, Mike, and Mark.
* MSG = Masters in Competitive Gaming, bestowed by NASCRAG University.
A Few Parting Thoughts